Friday 24 September 2010

September Days





September brings a a sense of expectation for me. I look forward to closing the curtains against the dark, lighting the fire and putting on cozy socks for the first time this autumn. September is a time of opportunity. The time for English apples, making damson gin, preserving and pickling and making the most of the last of the summer flowers. This is the time of year I need to 'play house', make us cosy and warm and nothing makes me cosier than cooking and baking.





I love buying cookbooks. Many are packed away at present as we decorate our study(spare bedroom) but there is nothing lovlier than curling up on the sofa with a favourite cookbook. My very favourite at the moment is this by lovley Lotte Duncan.



Any blogger who loves vintage will ooh and aah over this book. Not only are the recipes mouthwateringly good but it is a feast for the eyes as well. The pictures show the food photographed in Lotte's beautiful cottage and garden. Believe me you'll pick this book up again and again and love every minute of it.



I loved this plum cake I made from it.



Another favourite at the moment is the Popina baking book. Try the chocolate cookies from here - the best I've ever made.





Young Master F has a real passion for cupcakes and I think I could make these from memory now.



And of course yuo have to make the most of the strawberries whilst there is still a hint of warmth before Sunday lunch return to the ritual of fruit crumbles.



Whilst I witter on about baking and food. Has anyone been watching The Great British Bake Off? I've loved watching this series but I was so disappointed with the final. I didn't like losing one contestant after the first challenge and felt that some of the comments directed at one of the contestants was so unfair. I was with Mary Berry - I so wanted Miranda to get through. Her lemony cupcakes were just the thing for afternoon tea. I'd love to know what you think.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Mary seemed to want Miranda and Paul was supporting Ruth. I guess Paul had the final say? Have you bought the book yet? It's only £7.99 from The Book People.xx

Pipany said...

Oh I thought Ruth should have won, though she did come across a bit odd at times. It was a good programme though. Love all things autumn here too x

Posie said...

That made my mouth water, lovely photos, especially of the fire and the cakes....scrummy. I too have been wearing fluffy socks and enjoying 'hibernating' by the fire again. I didn't watch the bake off programme.
Posie

Country Style Living said...

I feel the same about this time of year as you, I love shutting the world out at dusk, putting on the side lights and sitting by the log burner with a cuppa. I have quite a selection of cookbooks, and have taken note of your reccommended Lotte's Country Kitchen. Have a good weekend

...Nina Nixon... said...

I do love the look of Lotte's cook book and never being one to resist.....have a wonderful weekend,

Nina xxx

andamento said...

Hmmm, I have now put both books on my Amazon wishlist! They do sound lovely, though my cook book shelf is already very well stocked...

Simone said...

You have a very tempting range of books there!!! The cookies look gorgeous especially. I loved watching the Great British Bake off. I couldn't understand Paul's dislike of cupcakes at an afternoon tea. Surely cupcakes were just the thing to want to eat?

magsmcc said...

I read this post before I went to bed last night, went straight upstairs to the sock drawer, and climbed into bed with cosy, pink, fluffy loveliness! My five year old watched the Great Bake expressly as cupcake research. His career plan is to become Cupcake King- he has premises and stock already planned and spends the monotony of pre-adult existence engaged in focused market research. He was recently offered a job in Belfast's own little cupcake emporium, but I had to say no- not until his National Insurance number comes!

harmony and rosie said...

Thanks for mentioning Lotte's book, I've not seen that one although I do have the Magnolia ones and drool each time I open them! Have a lovely weekend

potterjotter said...

Wow - can I come round yours for tea? That cake looks to die for. I only just put away my flip-flops - have been in denial about the end of summer I think!

Louise said...

Your baking, splendiferous! I'm definitely going to look out for Lotte's Country Kitchen. I haven't seen the last Bake Off programme yet, although I know who the winner is. I stumbled across it on someone else's blog! x

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I have a huge glut of plums, so might try that cake.
I wanted Ruth to win, mostly because I think she is very talented but also because she guest blogged on my blog!
I also agree that Sept makes you feel terribly homely.

Helen said...

That was such a wonderful post!!

VINTAGE HEART said...

Your plum cake looks yummy, i have a glut off apples ,so any apple recipes please!! blog soon,,, Linda x x