Sunday 12 July 2009

Refuge


Oh I've missed being here the past couple of weeks. There has been dirt and chaos everywhere! Never mind, all that remains to do in the bathroom is the electrical work and then we can paint and most importantly I can titivate. I'm not sure of the correct spelling of titivate - but I like titivating when I get chance and there hasn't been the opportunity to do that in the past few weeks. The guys doing the work in the bathroom have been great workers and also made themselves at home. Their first job in the morning was to boil the kettle ready for coffee!



My refuge from all the mess has been my little shed at the bottom of the garden where I've been able to sit and read my magazines and my latest book 'the Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - It's one of those books you really really don't want to put down and I know I'll really feel bereft when it's finished. A couple of weeks ago I discovered a great new shop in a local village called 'Talulah & Blouwsie' - I nearly fainted with excitement and pleasure - in fact I had to go in twice just to take it all in. Next time I go I might pluck up courage to ask if I can take a few photos. It was crammed full of vintage loveliness, old and new items that made me wish I could take you all shopping with me. There was jewellery, French storage jars, vintage clothing, linens and more - it was heaven on earth. I was very controlled (well I did have Mr Funky with me) and bought just the one item - this pretty, sparkly, girly, crystal necklace.


I couldn't put it down for days. I unwrapped it from it's pink spotted tissue paper, wrapped it back up again, decided I needed to look at it lovingly and unwrapped it yet again. Just look at all the pretttiness going on with the light reflecting all those colours. Mom-in-Law got to hear about my excitement for this wonderful shop and ecstay of ecstacies - she produced all of this gorgeousness for me. This time, a double row of crystals

and three sets of pearls, which belonged to Mr Funky's grandmas and an aunt.

There was also this piece which looks very modern I think but is definitely a vintage necklace. I am so lucky and I can't wait to wear them. I love the ones from my new favourite shop but don't you think it's even better to make use of something that a member of the family has treasured?

16 comments:

Sal said...

Oooh I love your little shed/quiet place for reading! It's lovely!
I am always titivating too!
;-)

Tracey said...

I also love that shed!!!!! Look forward to seeing your titivating. xxx

Rosie said...

What a lovely retreat and such a good book - I loved Shadow of the Wind - took some getting into but then I couldn't put it down. I enjoy the 'titivating' part too:)

Alchamillamolly said...

Thats not a shed thats a bit of paradise! Love it......That shop sounds fabulous I know when you find somewhere like you want to sit down for a minute - imagine what you would have been like if you had been on your own! What beautiful jewellery I am sure oyu will treasure them. My brother lent me the audio book and it was very good but made me think I should hsve read it instead.

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello
I have just discovered your lovely blog which I have saved in my favourites. I am going to catch up with your previous posts now.
By the way I am having a giveaway!
Isabelle x

Shabby Chick said...

I absolutely ADORED that book, it's amazing. It looks like he's recently written another called The Angel's Game but I've not heard anything about it.

Your shed is fabulous! More of a beautiful bothy :)

Mel xxx

Simone said...

You have inherited/bought some lovely necklaces. That is a lovely retreat at the bottom of your garden. I could quite easily curl up there and read a book.

Curlew Country said...

Vintage necklaces are the most beautiful if you ask me, especially if they've come from family.

The last one is very stylish.

What a pretty, little sanctuary your shed is. Blimey, mine's nowhere near as nice!
Stephx

Anonymous said...

Oh - I had a crystal necklace when I was little - I hung it across the window so that the sun shining through it made lovely coloured patterns on the wall.

Louise said...

I would find it difficult to part with family pieces of jewellery. There must be so many stories behind them. If only we knew! x

Joshy and belle said...

i love your little shed/hide away, its perfect, is there room for one more? xx

jo said...

It looks so relaxing in your garden, can I come?

Katie said...

I've just found your blog...it's lovely! Shadow of the Wind is such a good book - I hope you enjoy it. Do take some piccies in 'Talulah and Blouwsie' - I'd love to see it (sounds like just my sort of shop!) Katie x

Country Cottage Chic said...

That is a great book - I really enjoyed it.
Titivating is definitely near the top of my enjoyment list too.

Jayne

Cal said...

I enjoyed Shadow of the Wind too. I love your little retreat.
Cal x

icandy... said...

Very beautiful!!

Hugs,
Christina