Monday 4 August 2008

Mine at last!


More than two weeks into the school holidays and I can claim the computer as mine for an hour or so whilst Josh is out with friends. He has spent a lot of time out of the house playing but when he's home - I just can't get near the computer. Usually, I sneak onto my account for a few minutes when he's on his mobile or a friend has appeared at the door. He took a photograph for his MSN account today and will be really mad if he finds out that I've published it on the blog - but here goes.


After twelve months at 'big' school he has changed dramatically. He no longer likes to buy his clothes from Next but prefers a Slipknot or Kurt Cobain t-shirt, his haircut is very grown-up and in another year will certainly be as tall as I am. He is as gorgeous as ever but I do miss the days when he used to toddle around the garden with his bubble blowing lawn mower! We haven't been out and about much in the past couple of weeks and this next week will be busy preparing for our trip to the Lizard but I can show you some photographs of Much Wenlock. Small but perfectly formed it is one of my very favourite places with its mixture of architecture and its village atmosphere.


This is my very favourite shop Wenlock Books. I like it best on a winter afternoon when you can wander in from the cold into its warmth and glorious comfort. The owner is quite happy for you to settle yourself down in a chair to browse the stock at your leisure. Upstairs are the secondhand books and a small but eclectic selection of CDs, a gorgeous oak table where you can sit and read the newspapers provided or enjoy a warming cup of tea and cake.

It's always tempting to linger and spend money here but there is also the lovely Ippikin just across the road.

Ippikin sells knitting yarns and items that have already been knitted and made up, such as bags, jackets and the funkiest tea cosies that you have ever seen.

Here are a few more images of shops and houses in Wenlock. Hope you enjoy them!




Finally, I have to say a big thank you to Steph at Curlew Country and to Sue at Vintage to Victorian for giving me my first blogging awards. Thank you both so much ladies - I now put them on my blog with great pride.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there! Lovely place; I remember the bookshop and the shop selling all the china. Lovely place!

Pipany said...

Gorgeous pics you have there. Hope your trip down to my neck of the woods brings better weather for us - we're desperate! It has rained endlessly and I am going mad!!! xx

Anonymous said...

oh what a lovely trip round the shops that was. A gorgeous little place and I LOVE that tea cosy! Also loving those festival blankets. Our local Oxfam sells crocheted ones but the colours aren't great. Mind you, you have to admire the work put in to them and I imagine they're really cosy. Must spend more time looking through your blog - it's fab!
Carolx

Louise said...

I do like the look of Much Wenlock. Honestly there are so many pretty and interesting places to visit in the UK, where do you start, maybe here! Those old mooching book shops are great, infact any shop you can mooch in, and buy a thing or two in, is great. Love the photo of your son, blink, and they are all grown up. x

Sal said...

Great post.I would not be able to resist the book shop! ;-)

This Vintage Life... said...

Ooooh, that looks a great place to wander around...the blue painted shop is calling me!
Deb x

Tracey said...

Those photos just make me want to hop on a plane and meander the days away around sleepy English villages.

This Vintage Life... said...

Hi,
Another award coming your way...see my blog!
Deb x

Country Cottage Chic said...

Please pop over to my blog to make your awards a trio (it's like the Olympics!)